This is an old revision of the document!
The Cần Thơ market hall was built between 1913 and 1915, and originally was the fish market: overhanging the river bank, it allowed fishing boats to reach out with planks and unload their fish right into the sorting area, near the river. From there, the fish would be dispatched to the front of the market, on the street side, and sold out.
The Cần Thơ market hall has three layers of roof, that allow natural ventilation if it gets hot, even without wind. This would assuredly take away the smell of fish.
In 2004, the city of Cần Thơ rehabilitated the whole Ninh Kiều pier and repaired the hall to make it a more welcoming place and a dry goods market. It hosts today a flurry of small garment and souvenir shops and the restaurant Sao Hôm.